larengreyumphlett.blogspot.com



To purchase the books "The Power of Perception" and "The Poetic Realities, The Poetic Fantasies" please visit Laren Grey Umphlett's Amazon author page:

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Lessons in Awareness

Not all lessons in life are tough. Some just take a little awareness.
This Autumn morning I was walking to the coffee house (Caffe Medici, the best coffee in Austin). As I was walking I found myself rushing, as if the destination was more important than the journey. I thought to myself  "Are you nuts?! What's the hurry?"
Once I slowed down to enjoy my walk my breathing became more full and steady. I became hyper-aware of my surroundings -the birds, trees, interesting houses and landscapes, my sensations, and thoughts. Not even a leaf blower that I passed disturbed my peace (and I despise leaf bowers!) and the coffee destination became more pleasurable, and a blog idea popped into my mind! That's far more productive to me psychologically, biologically, and creatively than if I were to hastily trek to my destination.
"But what if I don't have time?" you ask. Well, you do. The Universe has made it more than clear that time is the only valuable thing we have, and time is what we waste most on lower endeavors and perceived necessities.
The journey is always a part of the destination, and it should be equally enjoyable, whether it's a physical destination or a project or an artistic endeavor. Patience.
Yesterday I spent a great amount of time attempting to unclog a stopped up sink. At first, when it had become a harder task than it should have been, I found myself cursing at the damn drain. Then, as the task grew to being more monumental than is reasonable, I let go of such frustration and the task became a bit comical and amazing. After all, the drain won't be clogged forever. It will be fixed. It's not a permanent situation. Being frustrated is easy, but enjoying the journey is easier.
We live in a frantic society (especially in cities) where things need to be done quickly. It may be a good tactic to be a tortoise in a world full of hares.
It comes down to letting go. Nothing really needs to be done, it only needs to be experienced.

It's an easy two step process:
1. Stop.
2. Smell roses.


"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." -Capt. Montgomery Scott 





No comments:

Post a Comment